Tonight I had my cousin and her family over for dinner. I made this quick and beautiful appetizer with the items I had on hand, and the great thing about them is that you can truly add any veggies that will fit inside a nori sheet and it will taste wonderful. I happened to have some left over homemade hummus, but if making hummus isn’t your thing, by all means use store bought. You want to find a brand that is low on salt and additives. However making hummus truly is easy, and once you learn how you won’t ever go back to store bought again. I’m including the hummus recipe below along with the (mostly) raw nori rolls.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked over night and cooked for 2 hours in 2 cups of water. Keep about 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid. If using canned chickpeas, look for salt free organic, reserving some of the liquid in the can.
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
I used my vitamix blender to make this, but you can do this in a food processor. Just place all ingredients and blend until smooth.
Nori Vegan wraps:
- 2 nori sheets
- 4 tbls hummus
- 2 tbls organic stone ground mustard
- 2 skinny purple asparagus
- 1/2 avocado, cut into thin slices
- about 6 matchstick cut cucumbers slices
- 1/4 cup of shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup mung bean sprouts
- about 6 matchstick cut red pepper slices
Mix the hummus with the mustard and cover the nori sheets from end to end with a thin layer of the mixture. Place all the veggies in the middle of the nori sheet leaving room on either end. Roll the nori sheets over the veggies and cut into 1 inch pieces.
These were a big hit, and there are many ways to make this healthy little snack. Looking online you can find many different versions. Get creative and don’t be afraid to play with flavors. Sometimes I make these with nothing spread out on the sheets but veggies. They don’t stick together as well, but they are still really good.
- Nori Wraps (goldwithin.org)
- Blazing Inferno Hummus (littlemissnihilist.wordpress.com)
- Easy Mediterranean-Style Hummus Recipe (experiencewholefoods.wordpress.com)