I took a real good close up of my smoothie this morning to show you the rich green color. It looks like a pool of algae! Most likely because I used algae LOL.
Spirulina is an blue-green algae filled with vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamin A and E. Its 65% protien, and has all the essential amino acids. It is used to boost the immune system, fend off allergies, aid in ADHD symptoms, and may even promote good gut flora (probiotic). Although no human studies have been conducted yet, it has proven to fight the flu virus, certain herpes, and even HIV.
When using spirulina, do so in small doses at first, because it does take a little getting used to. Today was my first attempt and I only used 1tsp. I also added raw organic apple cider vinegar which is so useful it should get its own post, and a huge chunk of ginger to mask the flavor. So honestly, I don’t even taste it.
Green Detox Smoothie Take 2:
- 1/2 cup raw organic Apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups coconut water
- 5 dinosaur kale leaves
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 inch peeled ginger
- 1 apple
- 3 celery stalks with leaves
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tsp spirulina (or more for the more adventurous – up to 2 tbsp)
- Optional: dash stevia
Blend all in a high speed blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Drink and enjoy!
A few words on ACV (apple cider vinegar) you want RAW organic (bragg’s is a great brand), not regular apple cider vinegar. It is the “mother” and has all the enzymes that are lost from processing regular vinegar.
- Everyone Should Drink This Daily (anotherblogaboutfood.wordpress.com)
- Granny Was Right (Apple Cider Vinegar) (cfdshark.wordpress.com)
- The Health benefits of apple cider vinegar. (taylorblocke.wordpress.com)
- Stay On Your Healthy “A” Game (getonyouragamefit.wordpress.com)
- Green Detox Smoothie (omgirlsguide.com)