So I’ve taken one final, and I have one more. The weather is unbearably hot and I don’t have AC, and my son is getting sick. So now that my excuses are out of the way, I want to apologize for not writing a blog post yesterday, but as you can see I have been very busy!
I do believe that this is a wonderful segway into my topic today: Excuses and inflammation.
Everyone knows someone who is constantly complaining. “I’m too fat.” “I’m too tired.” or “I’m in pain.” (I’ll leave the “I’m so broke” to someone else, because money is definitely not my specialty.) Health is something we pass off to our doctors to fix. We go in with a list of complaints and hope for a pill or some surgery to fix but we never get at the root of the problem. We never even think to ask! We just assume that our bodies have given up on us, that there’s something inherently wrong with our genetic makeup that is causing us these horrific ailments. The last one, “I’m in pain.” is one that can clear up in matter of days if lifestyle changes are made.
The first thing that comes to mind when someone is complaining about chronic pain is inflammation. The reason things like aspirin and ibuprofen and naproxen work so well is because they block the enzymes that cause pain and swelling. Inflammation leads to all sorts of things, back pain, joint pain, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, and even cancer. Yes, cancer. Inflammation is the bodies way of removing enemies such as bacteria, injured cells and chemical irritants. From http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2013/02/01/feeling-the-heat-the-link-between-inflammation-and-cancer/
So how does inflammation lead to cancer? Here’s the current thinking.
When a tiny tumour starts growing from a few rogue cells, it can scavenge enough oxygen and nutrients from its surroundings. But as it grows bigger, demand starts to outstrip supply, and things start getting desperate.
As they struggle to survive, and as they accumulate more and more genetic faults, the cancer cells release chemical signals that lure immune cells called macrophages and granulocytes to infiltrate the tumour.
Inflammation is the route cause of many many ailments, but the thing is, its completely preventable! AND THERE IS NO REASON TO MAKE EXCUSES! There are many natural ways to eradicate inflammation from our lives.
- Turmeric – taken like Golden milk (recipe here) or even in capsule form, tumeric is the most powerful anti-inflamatory that nature provides. Many studies are being conducted to isolate the enzymes so they can patent it and sell it on the market as a drug. But why wait? Just go out and buy a jar of the yellow spice and add it to your daily diet.
- Ginger – Also anti-inflammatory
- Willow bark – taken like a tea or in capsule form
- Elder Claw – Taken like a tea or in capsule form
- Devil’s Claw – taken like a tea or in capsule form
- Honey – Manuka honey is the best kind (and quite expensive) but all honey has phenolic enzymes, which have proven to be a very useful anti-cancer tool, showing anti-inflammartory properties and has been used in Ayurveda medicine for ages.
- Flavanoids – Found in natural fruits and vegetables (blueberries, broccoli, carrots, cauliflowers, kale, papaya, pineapple, raspberries, strawberries.)
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – the good fats found in avocados, olives, walnuts, sunflower seeds, almonds, and fatty cold water fish. (cod, herring, mackerel, salmon, sardines)
- Vitamin D – The sun
- Magnesium – the “natural muscle relaxer” is found in many foods such as banana, kale, coconut….and it is the number one deficiency in America.
But before you can even begin to heal using the natural remedies stated above, you need to stop putting CRAP into your body. Inflammation is caused by the toxins you use on and around your body (your cleaning products, your personal care products, your plastics, your man-made material clothes.) And FOOD!!! Red meats, fried foods, milk and cheeses, white breads, flours, gluten, additives sugar: ALL CAUSE INFLAMMATION! The best part is, eating to stop inflammation is also alkaline, it also leads to weight loss, it leads to increased energy and concentration! Stop eating crap and everything falls into place.
You can go to the doctor, you can get a pill, you can get surgery, but nothing is going to change unless you change yourself. Your body is going to keep fighting you if you keep filling it with crap. That’s all there is to it. It is so frustrating to sit and watch people in pain and know how to help them, and they don’t want help. They don’t want to look at what they are doing to themselves, they don’t want to think about it.
Chronic pain is not “normal.” It pains me to live in a society where it is so common that we think it is. We think that when we turn 30 our bodies just start to fall apart and there’s nothing we can do about it. This is not the case at all, and until we as a society understand the saying you are what you eat, nothing is going to change. Food is a powerful weapon and like all powerful weapons it can either help or harm. It is a choice, and the only one who can make that choice is you. We have more power then we give ourselves credit for, and there is no reason to make excuses when we have the knowledge.